dead birds don’t tweet
I think I’ve fallen in love with someone else. She’s really low maintenance, although she isn’t much of a talker, in fact she keeps it to under 140 characters or less. I don’t care if she’s been with like, every other guy on the planet!
Yes, like many others I’ve become quite enamored with twitter.
Will it last? Or is it a fling? Who knows but lets just enjoy the adventure.
In the mean time, why don’t you, Blog, get to know Twitter? In fact I’ve got a little twitter update thing on the top right hand side of this very page. I usually post interesting articles or news on the internet, or quick ideas that I might develop further into blog posts. Maybe we can work something out between the three of us?
Anyways, enough with the innuendo.
I’ll readily admit that twitter can be at times very self involved, but my favorite tweets usually revolve around the helpful tips and information that industry people dispense. Take for example Marvel Comics talent scout C.B. Cebulski, who often fires off excellent advice on how to break into the biz. CBR conveniently collected some of his nuggets of wisdom here.
Oh, and before I forget, you can follow me @ twitter.com/ReyOrtega
So in the spirit of sharing wisdom, I tweeted a few tips directed towards the latest generation of Sheridan Illustration grads. Originally I posted these immediately after attending their fantastic grad show, but I feel like they are just as timely now, since the class of ’09 just received their fancy ” YOU DID IT!” papers this past week.
Here they are (somehow in reverse order):
- not a tip: adjusting to life-after-school can be difficult. Getting your shit together life-wise reflects back into your work 11:38 AM Apr 24th from web
- there are tons of ways to promote yourself, many of them free. Explore every avenue, flickr,art blogs, art forums 11:25 AM Apr 24th from web
- tot hip: don’t wait to get ‘discovered’. put yourself out there and get those eyeballs on your work. 10:02 AM Apr 24th from web
- hot tip: whatever ‘style’ you’ve achieved in school is only the beginning. Don’t settle on it, let yourself grow 9:31 AM Apr 24th from web
- 5 hot tips for Illustration Grads: Now you have a chance to create something without anyone telling you to do so. Make something for you. 9:17 AM Apr 24th from web
- holy sheridan illustration sensory overload 6:50 AM Apr 24th from web
I still feel like I’m learning new things everyday, so I’m hardly an expert, I just wanted to share. I feel very strongly about the above listed items, so I do hope it’s of some use. I’m certain that many other Illustration alumni and industry folks have even more advice, so I’m inviting you to share what you know in the comments below.
That’s about it, congrats to the class of Two-Thousand-Aught-Nine and I’ll see you guys around.